Currently, there are only a few states in the entire U.S. that still refuse to legalize any form of cannabis, including medical marijuana, and, unfortunately for those in Kokomo, Indiana is one of them. While marijuana usage and the at-home cannabis homegrows are 100% illegal in Indiana, and therefore Kokomo, it’s not illegal to buy and store ungerminated seeds. To find out why, along with what the main different types of marijuana seeds are, etc., keep on reading.
Marijuana Seeds in Kokomo, Indiana
Kokomo today is often called a “top city for Indiana families” and a “best city for U.S. job seekers,” this nationally-ranked city for advanced manufacturing, exports, and affordability. In addition, its almost-60,000 residents are able to take advantage of its close proximity to Indianapolis (about 62 miles away) and Chicago (less than a 3-hour drive away).
These days, Kokomo, which offers visitors and locals alike opportunities to hear live music; attend festivals; and participate in its food, nightlife, and shopping scenes, is considered a lively and inviting city that’s good for raising a family.
However, Kokomo’s history is not so inviting as not only was this land taken from its rightful Native population of the Miami people in the 1800s, but in the 1920s this Indiana city welcomed with open arms the deplorable terrorist hate group known as the Ku Klux Klan. In fact, on 4 July 1923, Kokomo gained national notoriety for hosting the largest KKK gathering in history when 200,000 of its members gathered at Malfafa Park. While some try and make it seem more “tame” by claiming “only 10,000,” the fact remains that Kokomo allowed such vile hatred to gather in its confines. Sadly, even as recently as 2017, the Kokomo Tribune published an article on a study that was conducted by the Southern Poverty Law Center showing that Kokomo was still home to “one of the state’s 26 organizations it deems a hate group”–the hate group being the (stupidly named) “Ku Klos Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.”
As such, for as much as we hope that Indiana, and thereby Kokomo, will get with the times and legalize cannabis for both medical and recreational purposes, it is more important that this city, which serves as the county seat of Howard County, acknowledges the aspects of its not-so-distant hate-filled past and daily strive to actively embrace diversity, equality, and equity for all.
All of that said, it does seem that the city is working to eradicate such vile terrorist hate groups as the majority of its good residents and mayor have made clear that such groups are not welcome there and that it is their job as good citizens to protect one another from such “evil-doers.”
Now that we’ve got all of that out of the way, let’s jump into a lighter topic and the one you’re here for–why it’s not illegal to buy and store ungerminated weed seeds, and which marijuana strains are particularly popular in Kokomo these days!
Kokomo, Indiana and the Legality of Marijuana Seeds
Before explaining why it’s not illegal to buy, own, and store any type of cannabis seed in Kokomo, let’s first do a quick overview of Indiana’s strict cannabis laws.
Indiana’s Marijuana Laws
First, before getting into all of Indiana’s harsh penalties as they relate to medical and recreational weed, know that CBD products that contain less than 0.3% THC are fully legal in the entire state, including in Kokomo.
Possession of Cannabis Flower and/or Marijuana Products
- Any amount: Misdemeanor, up to 180 days of jail time, and a maximum fine of $1,000.
- Less than 30 grams PLUS a prior drug offense: Misdemeanor, up to 1 year in prison, and a maximum fine of $5,000.
- 30+ grams PLUS a prior drug offense: Felony, 6 months to 2.5 years in prison, and a maximum fine of $10,000.
Sales and/or the Cultivation of Cannabis Crops
- Less than 30 grams: Misdemeanor, up to 1 year in prison, and a maximum fine of $5,000.
- 30 grams to less than 10 pounds: Felony, 6 months to 2.5 years in prison, and a maximum fine of $10,000.
- 10+ pounds: Felony, 1-6 years in prison, and a maximum fine of 10,000.
For more on Indiana’s cannabis laws see here.
Why Buying Ungerminated Cannabis Seeds is Not Illegal
The reason that it’s not illegal to buy high-quality seeds from an online seed bank like Growers Choice Seeds (GCS) is because the premium cannabis seeds that GCS sells are all ungerminated. This means that the approximately 100 cannabinoids, including THC and CBD, are dormant until they’re germinated, and the thing that conservatives get so up in arms about is the fact that THC has psychoactive properties.
Therefore, as long as would-be cultivators in Kokomo store their ungerminated seeds until Indiana passes some reasonable marijuana laws, they’re safe. However, those who choose to germinate their recreational or medical marijuana seeds using something like GCS’ germination method, which comes with a 90% germination guarantee, and plant their seedlings–that’s when local law enforcement can come after them.
Why Kokomo Locals Buy Their Favorite Marijuana Strain From Growers Choice Seeds
Provided below are the four big reasons why those who call Kokomo home consistently rely on the highly-reputable online seed bank of Growers Choice Seeds for procuring some premium cannabis seeds.
- Accessibility: Since cannabis is completely illegal in Kokomo, the only way that “closeted” weed enthusiasts there can obtain some premium seeds is to either drive the three hours to Chicago and buy some from a recreational dispensary or to order online from a place like GCS.
- Selection: While a recreational dispensary across the Indiana state line in Illinois will likely have some cannabis strains in seed form available, the fact is, dispensaries are more focused on offering a wide array of marijuana products, whereas, GCS is solely about making thousands of top-notch feminized and auto-flowering seeds easily accessible to its new and regular customers.
- Feminized Seeds: GCS only sells feminized cannabis seeds that are photoperiods and autoflowers since they have a 99% chance of maturing into all-female cannabis plants that produce THC- and/or CBD-rich nuggets, which is what the majority of at-home growers are wanting to spend their money on. This is also why GCS does not sell regular seeds, as they will produce both male and female plants, and while male plants, which serve as pollinators, are integral to the creation of new strains of marijuana, your everyday residential grower will have little to no use for male plants.
- Price Point: GCS makes its rich selection of feminized and auto-flowering seeds available at affordable prices. Furthermore, GCS always has discounts on its wholesale seeds, as well as regular sales on a rotating selection of incredible landrace and hybrid cannabis seed strains.
Growing Cannabis in Kokomo
Since you could end up paying a stiff fine and serving time in jail or prison, we don’t recommend breaking the law by growing cannabis in Kokomo. However, it’s likely that there are those who are willing to take this risk and engage in some underground cannabis cultivation endeavors. What is also likely is that such individuals have zero desire to attract any unwanted attention to their crops and therefore don’t practice any outdoor cannabis cultivation–opting instead to do some indoor cannabis cultivation in a discreet, locked space in their house or a locked, out-of-sight, greenhouse or shed that is properly ventilated and equipped with high-quality carbon filters so as to mitigate any attention-grabbing odors.
Feminized Seeds vs. Autoflowering Seeds
Feminized Photoperiod Seeds
Feminized seeds cannot automatically flip to flower without having their light/dark schedule switch from what is, usually, an 18/6 cycle to a 12/12 schedule on account of their being photoperiodic seeds.
Since GCS provides a free blog that covers almost everything you need to know about cannabis, including how to grow cannabis indoors whether you’re a pro or beginner, how the 12/12 cycle works, etc., novice growers can easily access and apply this knowledge to growing otherwise low-maintenance strains like:
- Kosher Kush: An easy-to-grow pure indica that will impress with its fast-acting sedation and relaxing effects. Indoors it may take up to 10 weeks of flowering before it’s ready to be harvested, but once you try it, you’ll know that the wait was worth it.
- Lemon G: This is one of the hardest-hitting sativas around that can completely overwhelm your senses without resulting in couch lock.
- Grapefruit Diesel: This is an indica-leaning hybrid that actually tilts sativa in its impact. Grown indoors, it’s suggested you use hydroponics to potentially shorten its growing time by a week.
Autoflowering cannabis seeds are feminized strains that have had ruderalis, a resilient landrace strain from Central Asia, added to their genetics. This addition of ruderalis gives them autoflowers the ability to automatically flip to flower without having their light cycle changed. On top of that, autoflowers mature into plants that tend to be smaller, faster-flowering, and hardier than their feminized photoperiod counterparts. Provided below are two autoflowers that Kokomo customers keep buying:
- Death Star OG: An indica-dominant hybrid that’s both a hard hitter and a creeper of a strain. So long as you have a medium amount of previous cultivation experience you should be fine growing this one inside.
- Jesus OG: A sativa-heavy hybrid will have your mind and body feeling like they’ve transcended. Grown indoors, you’ll want to use the Low-Stress Training method and to top and trim it. If you have a limited amount of space, you’ll need to bend and prune its branches in the early part of its vegetative growth stage.
Grower’s Choice Delivered my High-CBD Seeds
“I needed CBD seeds and had no source nearby. I looked online and found Grower’s Choice Seeds, and that they can deliver seeds directly to my house. It ends up working better than having a store in town!”
Popular Cannabis Seeds in Kokomo
Diesel Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $33
Auto-Flowering Critical Purple SeedsFrom Just: $37
Gorilla Glue Auto-Flowering Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $33
Tangerine Dream Auto-Flowering Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $33
White Widow Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $43
Northern Lights Auto-Flowering Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $33
OG Kush Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $47
Pineapple Auto-Flowering Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $31
Cinderella 99 Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $39
Sour Kush Auto-Flowering Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $31
Blueberry Auto-Flowering Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $24
Acapulco Gold Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $42