Both medical and recreational marijuana are illegal in the state of Wisconsin, but locals are holding onto hope that the proposed medical marijuana bill will be passed this year! This article discusses all of the former, as well as the city of Madison and its environment, popular seed types, and strains that would be a good fit for Madison’s climate. We’ll also tell you where to find the best quality seeds!
Madison, WI, and Cannabis Laws
Madison is a city full of activists, nature lovers, and tech bros, which is the perfect recipe for a city full of diversity, growth, and excitement. Below, we explore the city in more depth, as well as the local marijuana laws.
City of Madison
As many may already know, Madison is the capital of Wisconsin and was also named after our fourth U.S. president–James Madison. The city was chosen as the capital simply because it is located in the center of the state. Madison has been at the forefront of many activist movements, which we love, with the Vietnam War protests in the 1960s and 1970s being some of their most inspired work. The University of Wisconsin-Madison strongly supported anti-war activism, and the effect that Madison’s efforts had on anti-war activism is still felt throughout the state. It’s no surprise that Madison locals are now at the pinnacle of weed legalization efforts in the state of Wisconsin, and we want them to know we’re right there with them in spirit.
Nowadays, the city has had expansive growth in the tech industry, with many young professionals flocking to the area to spread their nerdy wings. Research, at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, has also gained traction and attention, with the healthcare sector experiencing a boom of its own. The growth of these industries in the area has led to an influx of wealth, more businesses, a larger demographic variance in the city, and unfortunately for some, inflation and gentrification. Currently, the city is home to approximately 270,000 people, many of whom do not own a car since Madison is known to be one of the most bicycle-friendly cities in the United States, as well as one of the most environmentally conscious and sustainable.
Climate and Landscape in Madison
Maybe Madison’s residents are passionate about environmentalism and sustainability because they are surrounded by some of the most beautiful natural landscapes! Since the city experiences four seasons, there is generally something to tickle the fancy of everyone. Winters are cold and snowy, often with freezing temperatures, which is perfect for the skier and snowboarder who can’t wait to get a taste of the soft, winter powder. Summers are near-perfect, with temperatures that usually do not surpass 80 degrees (although they can be somewhat humid). Spring and fall are a storybook heaven. For those who love soaking up all that nature has to offer, a few must-sees in the area are:
- Devil’s Lake State Park: Within a short drive of Madison, this park is the perfect place for hiking, rock climbing, and swimming, with insanely epic quartzite bluffs as the view.
- Aldo Leopold Nature Center: This is an awesome educational center and nature preserve that is dedicated to educating the public on environmental conservation and sustainability.
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens: A tranquil oasis where folks can bask in the stunningly gorgeous Thai pavilion garden and rose garden.
- UW-Madison Arboretum: A ginormous 1,200-acre area that offers lots of hiking trails and is within a short drive from Madison.
Madison is also quite passionate about farming and agriculture, with dairy farming being of the resident’s farming fortes. The farms are known to produce some pretty exceptional cheeses, while also efficiently growing crops like corn, soybeans, and cranberries. Madison’s spring and summer provide the perfect climate for growing cannabis outdoors, while indoor setups offer locals the convenience of cultivating all year round, which is why it is such a crying shame that the cultivation of cannabis plants is illegal in the state of Wisconsin!
Marijuana Laws in Wisconsin
Although we could sing Madison’s praises all day long, Wisconsin, sadly, has some of the strictest marijuana laws in the United States… for now. Possession of any amount of recreational marijuana is illegal, and penalties can be quite severe for lawbreakers. Medicinal marijuana is also prohibited in the state, as there is no program yet in place to facilitate the use of cannabis for patients. Residents in Wisconsin are eagerly trying to change this, and there was recently a new medical marijuana bill that was introduced in the Wisconsin Assembly and is now awaiting the Senate’s stance on the matter. 2024 could potentially be the year that eligible medical marijuana patients can consume cannabis legally!
Seed Types and Strains
While cultivation is currently illegal in Wisconsin, we recommend brushing up on your cannabis knowledge so you will be fully prepared when the state invites you to start your own little ganja garden! Below, we give an overview of feminized cannabis seeds and auto-flowering seeds, as well as a few strains that you might want to consider for the Madison climate.
Feminized Marijuana Seeds
Feminized seeds have been a revolution for cannabis growers since their arrival on the marijuana scene. Their popularity primarily stems from their near-zero production of male marijuana plants, allowing growers to skip the step of weeding out the males, as well as sacrificing valuable real estate for them in their grow spaces. Feminized weed seeds almost exclusively produce female plants, in contrast to regular seeds, which produce both genders. Female plants are ideal because consumable buds grow on their stems, while they do not grow on male plants. Since female seeds are photoperiodic, they need specific light cycles to begin flowering after the vegetative stage.
Auto-Flowering Cannabis Seeds
Unlike the original feminized seeds, auto-flowering seeds are also feminized but they have the addition of ruderalis to their genetics. Auto-flowering plants merge from the vegetative stage to the flowering stage automatically and do not require a change in light schedules to make this switch. These marijuana plants are usually smaller in size and are quite resilient to all sorts of varying weather conditions, which can make them ideal for outdoor growth in Madison where the climate can be humid, toasty, and freezing at times.
Cannabis Strains for Madison
The following strains are perfect choices for the outdoor climate in Madison, and we highly recommend you give these favorite strains a little patch in your garden:
- Cream Auto: This auto strain is known for its resilience and fast growth, which can make it ideal for Madison’s shorter growing season and cooler temperatures. It is an indica-dominant hybrid that offers feelings of euphoria, relaxation, and a comfortable THC content of around 16%.
- Blackberry Kush: This indica-dominant strain loves light humidity and a warm climate, which would make Madison’s conditions a cozy home for Blackberry Kush. It offers a huge yield of up to 800 grams per plant and delicious flavors of berries, earth, and diesel.
- Critical Purple Auto: With a potent THC content of around 27% and a high resilience to mold and harsh weather, growers in Madison will eat this strain up! It offers a quite potent high that washes users with waves of solace and relaxation while delivering flavors of sweet fruit.
- Venom OG: This balanced hybrid prefers temperatures that are in the 70s and 80s (Fahrenheit) with slight exposure to humidity, making it a perfect candidate for Madison’s gardens. Also packing a whopping THC content of around 23% and invigorating flavors of citrus and pine, this strain is sure to thrill.
- OG Raskal: Also preferring a warm and semi-humid environment, this Sativa-dominant hybrid is an excellent choice for Madison. It offers high yields of up to 600 grams per plant and a happy and relaxed high.
Cultivating Marijuana in Madison
Growers in Madison can easily cultivate both feminized and auto-flowering seeds, although it is important to select strains that can survive and thrive in your preferred grow area. Below we dive into quality seed strains and where to purchase them!
Online Seed Banks for Madison Cultivators
Online seed banks are a wonder for cannabis cultivators! They offer a wide selection of weed seeds, many of which are exotic or award-winning strains, offering growers only the highest quality. Growers Choice Seeds is an excellent example, as we have a huge seed bank to explore. Our company also offers shipping and packaging that is ultra-stealthy and discreet so that customers’ orders remain private and undetected. With every order, Growers Choice Seeds includes an exceptional germination guarantee that 90% of the seeds ordered will germinate or the customers will receive a refund. Can’t get much better than that, right?
Your Alabama orders are coveredI’ve been ordering my seeds here for months now, and everything has always been great. I have yet to opt for the discreet packaging service and i haven’t had an issue. Fast delivery and top service, what more could you want?
Popular Cannabis Seeds in Madison, Alabama
Jack Herer Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $39
Amnesia Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $46
Diesel Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $39
Afghan Auto-Flowering Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $32
Great White Shark Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $39
Cinderella 99 Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $35.10
OG Kush Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $47
White Widow Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $43
Feminized Super Silver Haze SeedsFrom Just: $39
Power Plant Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $47
AK Auto-Flowering Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $29
Mazar Feminized SeedsFrom Just: $39